POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Aug 2008 17:18:25
Message: <48977221$1@news.povray.org>
>> Today, anybody with sufficient technical bent can easily sit down with a
>> computer and cut CDs of their music, or burn DVDs of their graphics and
>> animations. It's not even expensive any more.
>>
>> We are truly living in the future, my friends...
>
>     Yep, and even possible serious gamemakers can do it for free*. I've got
> to say that CryTek's CryEngine2/(Sandbox2) is fantastic!

I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

I see a bunch of guys used the Source engine to build a game called
Dystopia. It's set in a dystopian future and features gameplay that
alternates between the real world and a Tron-like "cyberspace". It's a
slightly naff game, but far better than anything I could have built!

More recently another group of people used Source to build a very
different game called Insurgency. This is your hyper-realistic US
Marines vs Iraqi insurgents battlefield game. And when I say
hyper-realistic, there is no crosshair on the screen. You walk at about
1.5 MPH. It's almost impossible to know what's going on. And as soon as
you get near a combat zone, you instantly drop dead due to a single
sniper bullet. (In other words, it is absolutely no fun at all, just
like a real war.)

Yet another group of people are working on a complete conversion of the
original Halflife game. (Although the initial artwork - which impressive
- deviates too far from the original for my liking.)

I have absolutely no idea how in the game of God any of this is
possible. But people have done it, so it *must* be possible...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/